I’m posting a very simple recipe today. I frequently use this roasting chart from Good Housekeeping. The original page from their magazine is one of the most used pages in my recipe binder. Having said that, I deviated from the chart when roasting the beets from this box. I wanted to roast them with the red onion, which wouldn’t have worked if I had left the beets whole and unpeeled. Since the pieces were smaller, they cooked more quickly. This was a nice combination of flavors. The recipe could easily be multiplied to serve more people.
- 2 medium to large beets, peeled and cut in bite sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, cut in chunks
- balsamic vinegar to taste (I used about 1 tablespoon)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place beets in oil, toss to combine. Remove beets from oil, place on roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes.
- In the mean time, place onion into the oil that is left in the bowl from the beets. Toss to combine. Add to roasted beats, toss again. Return pan to oven and continue roasting for 15-20 minutes.
- Place roasted vegetables into a clean bowl. Add balsamic vinegar and toss again.
I’m looking forward to roasting fall veggies this year! Our new box comes today, and I ordered some winter squash for just that purpose.