Our niece and her husband visited us last weekend to attend the Balloon Fiesta. Over the summer, she brought us a gigantic zucchini. I didn’t have time to cook it at the time, so I grated and froze it. I decided to use some of it for a dessert. I can always feel comfortable trying recipes out on them! Everyone thought this zucchini cake was, “So good!” so I am sharing this even though we didn’t get zucchini in our box this week. The base recipe I used for the cake came from allrecipes.com,with the addition of some dried cranberries.
- 1½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1⅛ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 2¼ cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated lemon peel
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 X 9 pan.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon, set aside. I large mixing bowl, beat egg, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients, beat well. Add zucchini, walnuts, and cranberries, stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool completely.
- Combine remaining ingredients. Beat until fluffy. Spread over cooled cake. Cut into squares.
If you are using frozen zucchini for this recipe, make sure to thaw and drain it well before using it in the batter.