Last year, I won a Cuisinart ice cream maker on Facebook. (Yes, it was pretty exciting.) I decided to get it out recently to make a dessert to serve when we had family passing through Albuquerque. We got some plums in our harvest box this week, and I thought they might make good ice cream. I was NOT going for healthy this time. (I was feeding 3 young guys). I found this recipe for Plum Ice Cream on notderbypie.com. Unfortunately, I did not have enough plums. The recipe also calls for kirsch, which is a fruit liquor. I had never heard of it before, and certainly was not going to buy a whole bottle of liquor for 1/2 teaspoon. I decided to resolve both problems by adding some frozen fruit into the mix. The guys really liked it!
I’m going to try to do a similar recipe as frozen yogurt next time.
- 5 medium plums
- ⅓ cup water
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup frozen berries
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Slice plums in half and remove pits. Cut plums into eighths. Place them in a medium saucepan with water. Cover and cook over medium, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Add berries and stir. Let cool to room temperature.
- Add heavy cream and puree until smooth. (I used an immersion blender, but regular blender or food processor would also work.)
- Chill mixture thoroughly. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
What’s the best thing you’ve ever won?