I was very excited to see baby bok choy in our box this week. For those not familiar with bok choy, it is a Chinese cabbage. When it is picked young, it is really tender and makes a good salad. The bok choy in our box was just a bit too tough for a salad, so I decided to put it in a soup. I saw this recipe for Chicken and Bok Choy soup on Allrecipes.com. However, I wanted to go with an Asian flavor (since it is a Chinese cabbage).
We ate this as a light main dish, but it could also be a soup course for a larger meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head bok choy, chopped
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1-2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- Heat oil in Dutch oven. Add onion and garlic, saute until onions are translucent.
- Add bok choy, sweet potatoes, chicken broth, and chili-garlic sauce. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft.