We got some surprise Swiss chard in our box last week; substituted for lettuce. Not exactly interchangeable (especially when I was counting on that lettuce for lunch). Good thing we like chard! I wanted to do something different with the chard. I saw a recipe on Food.com for Enchiladas with Barbecued Greens. The recipe just didn’t say Mexican food to me, but the idea was genius!
I don’t make enchilada casserole very often, because of the calorie count. This is a really healthy way to make them!
- 1 bunch Swiss chard
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup salsa
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Separate chard leaves and stems. Chop stems and leaves separately.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Saute chard stems and onion for 3 minutes. Add garlic, continue to saute until onion softens.
- Add black beans and chard leaves. Continue to saute until the chard leaves are wilted. Add salsa and heat through. Remove from heat.
- Place ½ cup of the cooked mixture in the center of each tortilla. Roll the tortillas and place them in an 11 X 7 pan. Top with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.