There is nothing quite like coming home to a crock pot full of soup in the fall. I almost didn’t get to share this recipe. When I got my computer back after its second trip to the “hospital,” the tech hadn’t reinstalled by browser bookmarks. I don’t think it is fair to post a recipe without giving credit to my inspiration, and the site was stored only in my bookmarks. Thank goodness he still had the file, because this soup is REALLY good. Thank you to About.com for posting their Sausage and Potato Soup with Kale.
I used a little different spicing, left out the bacon, and made it in the crock pot. I hope I remember my exact recipe, I made this weeks ago and didn’t write down amounts.
- 1 pound ground Italian turkey sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ pounds thin skinned potatoes, cubed
- 3 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- 1 bunch kale leaves, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Brown Italian turkey sausage. Remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet, heat the oil. Saute onion and carrots until they begin to soften. Add garlic and continue to brown about 2 more minutes.
- In crock pot, combine browned sausage, sauteed onion mixture, potatoes, rosemary, and kale. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add cream.