Happy Veterans Day! Our family has a strong tradition of military service. My Dad and my husband’s Dad were both in the Army. My husband, my brother, several of my husband’s brothers, and I are all veterans. Now, my son is a Navy officer, as are a couple of his cousins. So, I guess it is fitting that I come back from my unplanned blogging hiatus on Veterans Day. My laptop spent most of the last 2 weeks in the “computer hospital.” It is good to have it back and working.
I saw several recipes on the internet for grilled, marinated zucchini. This one is unique because the zucchini slices were marinated in balsamic vinegar and rosemary. The yellow squash is the last of what grew in our garden, the zucchini came in our CSA box. This would be great for your Veterans Day BBQ, but start early since you have to marinate the squash for 8 hours.
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise into ¼ inch slices
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, sliced lengthwise into ¼ inch slices
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- juice of 2 lemons
- Place zucchini, squash, and rosemary sprigs in a zip top bag.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, and lemon juice. Pour into bag. Toss to combine.
- Marinate for 8 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Grill zucchini and squash until cooked through, about 10 minutes.