One of our new favorite restaurants is a local chain called Mario’s Pizza. They serve a lot more than pizza! I love their Southwest Chicken Pasta, so I decided to use it as a basis for today’s recipe.
Don’t skimp on the cayenne pepper. I gives the sauce a little more kick.
- 6 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- florets from 1 bunch broccoli
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup green chile
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1-2 dashes cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Boil pasta according to package directions. Add broccoli during the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Drain well.
- While pasta is cooking, season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Grill until cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, melt butter in large skillet. Whisk in cream, bring to simmer. Simmer 5 minutes. Add chile, garlic, and cheese, stir to combine.
- Add chicken, pasta, and broccoli into sauce. Stir well to combine. Add cilantro just before serving.