Spring must be here, because snap peas are in our boxes. We have such a limited season for spring veggies. It will probably be even shorter this year, since we are already having 70+ degree weather.
This side dish was inspired by an Epicurious recipe for Orzo and Herbed Sugar Snap Peas. I enjoy the nutty flavor of quinoa, so I used it instead. That, plus the addition of dried mushrooms, required a change in method as well.
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1 pound sugar snap peas, strings removed, cut in ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 4 ounces dried shitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Bring chicken broth to a boil. Place steamer basket with peas in pot. Steam peas for 2 minutes. Remove steamer from broth, place peas in ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain.
- Add quinoa and mushrooms to the boiling broth. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked. Remove from heat.
- Add vinegar to the quinoa, stir until thoroughly combined. Add the peas and toss.