I was so excited when the folks over at Full Plate Living shared these soup recipes using butternut squash! While I can’t wait to try the chili, my choice for this recipe was the pureed Butternut Squash Soup. I decided to go spicy, though, and put in some of the green chile we got this week, too. This was a great soup to go with grilled meat and cheese sandwiches for a light weeknight meal. I even got a couple of quick “to dos” done while I was waiting for the squash to cook.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- ½ cup chopped green chile
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- Heat oil in soup kettle over medium heat. Saute onion for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, squash, and green chile. Simmer for 20 minutes, until squash is soft.
- Use a blender or immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Add evaporated milk. Heat to rewarm.
How much time are you willing to spend in the kitchen on a work night?