When I saw kale in the box this week, I decided I wanted to use it for a main dish. I found this recipe for One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf from Food 52 and thought it would fit the bill. Quinoa is high in protein, so we used it as a main dish, but this would make a great side dish, too. I first learned about quinoa in a wilderness cooking class. The instructor said it was great to take backpacking, since it is the most balanced grain.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves cut into 1 inch ribbons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Bring broth to boil in large saucepan. Add quinoa, cover, and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Top quinoa with kale, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, keep covered, and let steam an additional 5 minutes. (I had to return the pan to heat for a few minutes, so that all the liquid was absorbed.)
- While quinoa is cooking, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until softened.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa and kale, vegetable mixture, and vinegar.