I haven’t used by crock pot in a while, so I wanted to use it to make a work night main dish with the beets this week. Stew seemed the obvious choice. It was a great opportunity to clean out my refrigerator before our next box comes!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary leaves, removed from stems and chopped
- 1 pound beef stew meat cubes
- 4 medium beets, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 cups cooked brown rice.
- Heat oil in skillet. Combine flour and rosemary. Add beef cubes and toss to combine. Shake excess flour off the cubes, reserve. Brown beef in oil.
- Place beef, reserved flour mixture, beets, carrots, onion, garlic, broth, and basil in crock pot. Cook on low for at least 8 hours. (I cooked it for 12 hours and it was not overcooked. Serve over brown rice.
I had originally planned to add some of the beet greens, but waited too long to get to this and the greens had wilted too much. If you are more organized than I am, give it a try, and let me know how it turns out.