Growing up, greens were NEVER on the menu at our house. My Dad ate about 4 vegetables-potatoes, corn, green beans, and lettuce. (My brothers still eat that way.) So, I feel like I am still learning how to use greens. My favorite right now is Swiss chard, with kale as a close second. We got chard in the box this week, so I decided to fix a quick side dish to go with grilled fish. This was a pretty easy dish to put together, since everything else was in my pantry. (Makes it easy to shop!)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- about ½ cup chicken broth
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, saute about 3 minutes.
- Add chard, continue to saute until it begins to soften and onions are translucent.
- Add cranberries and about ¼ cup chicken broth. Cover. Reduce heat to medium low. Steam until cranberries plump and chard is softened, adding additional broth if needed.
What was your vegetable experience when you were growing up?