I’m finishing up my last week of taking night and weekend call for my new job. Most of my calls seem to have come at dinner time, so we have eaten pretty late several nights. I didn’t think I would ever have time to get this recipe going, because I always do my crock pot prep work the night before. This recipe definitely requires pre-planning, because the dried beans require an overnight soaking before cooking. (Or, you could substitute canned beans.) It was so nice to come home after making an unexpected early evening visit to have soup ready to eat!
- ½ pound beans (soak overnight in water)
- 1 bunch of chard, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 small potatoes, cubed
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Combine all the ingredients in crock. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.