OK, so this is a little embarrassing. I was looking for a good recipe to make with the spinach in our harvest box this week. I saw a recipe on allrecipes.com that looked good. I thought the title was Spanish Rice. It wasn’t until I started cooking that I realized it was SPINACH rice. Not bad, just not what I was expecting. However, it turned out good anyway. It is amazing how little it takes to make a side dish into a main by just adding a little ground meat.
- 10 ounces fresh spinach (OK to substitute frozen chopped spinach, thawed)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 10¾ ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup chopped green chile
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked rice
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Steam spinach until tender, drain and squeeze dry.
- While the spinach is cooking, brown ground turkey and onion.
- When the meat is browned, add undiluted soup, milk, chile, salt, pepper, and cooked rice; mix well. Pour into an 11 X 7 casserole that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray. Top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until mixture is bubbling and the the cheese is melted.
I prepared the casserole the night before serving, and then baked it the next day. Even the leftovers were delicious.