Several months ago, I made a chocolate cake with beets. Knowing that it had turned out well, I had total confidence in adapting this recipe from allrecipes.com for muffins made with beets. I had some cranberries in the refrigerator (leftover from Thanksgiving), so I decided to go with a cranberry orange flavor combination. They are so good! This batch makes 24 muffins, which was plenty for us. Even better, my adaptation uses no oil or sugar, so they are pretty healthy!
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups uncooked oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup Splenda
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¾ cup chopped cranberries
- 1 cup peeled, shredded beets
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 24 muffin cups.
- Mix flour, oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix applesauce, Splenda, eggs, and orange juice. Pour into the dry ingredients, stir to combine. Fold in cranberries and beets.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
These would be a great breakfast on Christmas morning.