We got a BIG bunch of kale in our box this week. Today, I decided to saute some up and put it in an egg bake. I couldn’t find a recipe that I liked, so I decided to make my own. Next time, I’m going to add some green chili, but if you aren’t into spicy, this was quite good. I still have half of the kale left. I’ll need to figure out something else to do with that.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped kale (stems removed)
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ medium tomato, chopped
- ½ cup low fat Mexican blend cheese
- Heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add kale and continue to saute until kale is soft, stirring frequently.
- While the vegetables are cooking, beat eggs. Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, tomato, cheese, and cooked vegetables.
- Spray an 11 X 7 inch baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Pour egg mixture into the dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until eggs are set and top is golden brown.
I’m curious. Can people in other parts of the country get frozen, chopped green chile?