My original plan for the broccoli was to steam it. However, I found this recipe for Cream of Broccoli Soup on allrecipes.com. The day I started to make it, I found out that it takes a LOT of broccoli to make this soup. The 2 small heads we got in the box would have been enough for 1 bowl. I bought another big head and got enough for a total of 2 bowls. The end result was worth it, though; because this was absolutely delicous!
- 2½ tablespoons butter, divided
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 small stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1-14 ounce can chicken broth
- 1½ tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- dash paprika
- cayenne pepper to taste (I used a couple of dashes)
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a soup kettle or large sauce pan. Saute onion and celery until soft. Add broccoli and chicken broth. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- While the broccoli simmers, melt remaining butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add milk and simmer until thick and bubbly.
- When broccoli is soft, puree the broccoli mixture (I used an immersion blender). Add milk mixture. Season with paprika and cayenne pepper.
It must be getting cooler-when I made our meal plan this week, I put soup on the menu almost every night!