The eggplants in this box were bigger than we had been getting in our harvest boxes this year. My husband and I are not big eggplant fans, so I was a bit anxious about how I was going to handle them. I found this recipe on Cooks.com for shish kabobs, and decided to give it a go. The consistency of the eggplant was good, and the glaze made everything taste sweet. They turned out great!
- ¾ cup steak sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1¼ teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut in 2 inch by ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 green bell peppers, quartered
- 1 medium onion, cut in large chunks
- 3 golden zucchini or yellow squash, cut in 1½ inch chunks
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in 1½ inch chunks
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- In a small saucepan, combine steak sauce, hone, vinegar, ¾ teaspoon garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Reserve ¾ cup.
- Allow the marinade to cool slightly, then place chicken breast into the marinade remaining in the saucepan. Marinate for 10 minutes. Preheat grill.
- While the chicken is marinating, combine tomatoes, pepper, onion, squash, and eggplant in a large bowl. Combine oil, onion powder, and remaining garlic powder. Pour over vegetables, and toss to combine.
- Alternately skewer vegetables and chicken on skewers. Grill over medium heat, brushing frequently with the reserved marinade.
What are your favorite fall foods?