I first tried this recipe from allrecipes.com when I had kale and a lot of potatoes. I don’t like to use a lot of salt, so the flavor was a little bland. I added some rosemary to improve that.
Ruth's Caldo Verde (Portuguese Green Soup)
Recipe type: Main
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cups water
- 8 ounces turkey kielbasa (recipe calls for linguica sausage, but I can't find it here)
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ pound kale, rinsed and julienned
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute for 3 minutes. Add potatoes, and saute for 3 minutes more.
- Add water to pan and bring to boil. Gently boil for 20 minutes, until potatoes are mushy.
- While potatoes are cooking, cook sausage in a skillet over medium low heat, 5-10 minutes.
- When potatoes are mushy, puree them. (I use an immersion blender.) Add sausage, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add kale and simmer, about 5 more minutes, until kale is tender and jade green.
By late June, it is generally too hot here for greens, so I suspect we won’t see them too many more times. I think we will start seeing squash, tomatoes, and other summer vegetables soon!