As soon as I saw a recipe for Beet Chocolate Cake in Farmer Monte’s weekly newsletter, I knew I had to try it. However, the 2 cups of sugar in the recipe seemed like too many carbohydrates for our house. So, I decided to try every method I knew of to make a cake recipe more healthy.
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 cup Splenda
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1½ cup shredded beets (I used my food processor, first with the shredding disc and then processed them again with the blade.)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9" pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Melt chocolate. Allow to cool.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Beat eggs, combine with applesauce and melted chocolate.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and beets to chocolate mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
While cake will never be truly healthy, this comes pretty darn close.