The weather is turning warmer, so grilling season is in high gear. While we grill year around, it is not unusual for us to fix something on the grill 3 nights a week in the summer. For some reason, I have healthy Thanksgiving on my mind, and decided to use the green beans to make a green bean “casserole” on the grill.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 small button mushrooms, halved and then sliced
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, remove the leaves from the stems
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat grill.
- Cut a piece of wide, heavy duty aluminum foil about 5 feet long and fold in half. Spray one side with non stick cooking spray.
- Place beans, mushrooms, onions, olive oil and thyme leaves on foil. Drugstore wrap the foil into a package.
- Grill package on the grill for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.
- Toss almonds into the beans just prior to serving.
If you don’t remember how to do the drugstore wrap, the directions are here.
I served this with grilled pork chops, but it would also be good with steak or chicken.