I wanted a quick and easy chard side dish to serve with BBQ chicken breasts. I had made this recipe from Epicurious before, but I wanted something with a bit more heat. So, I added some garlic and crushed red pepper flakes.
Spicy Chard and Leeks
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1 bunch chard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Slice leeks in half lengthwise, then cut in ¼ inch slices. Place leeks in cool water and stir to rinse. Drain.
- Remove stems and large veins from chard. Chop stems and veins into ¼ inch slices. Roll leaves into a tube and cut tubes to make 1 inch strips.
- Heat butter and oil in skillet over medium high heat, until foam disappears. Add chard stems and veins, garlic, drained leeks, and crushed red pepper. Cook until slightly soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add chard leaves and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the leaves are wilted. (If leaves start to brown before they are wilted, sprinkle with a few drops of water.)
Do you cook with chard? Let me know what you make.